Sunday, June 24, 2012

Klahanie's 98% rich white people- scares me



Klahanie is a 900 acre ‘master planned community” that I went and experienced yesterday. http://www.klahanie.com/home.asp

This guy had a used pickup for sale and I went there and drove it, meeting him at the QFC.  I immediately thought of an ad I saw on Craigslist.org about a Vietnamese Restaurant for sale in Duvall. It said “Duvall, 98% rich white people, good for fancy restaurant”. I got a good laugh about this. Duvall is quite the mix of semi-employed Hispanic landscape workers, broken down loggers, farmers new and old style, Microsoft workers, retired people, with the usual smattering of retail people and whatnot. There are some people here with money, especially just out of town with the big houses and acreage, and there are many people also just barely making it.

Klahanie on the other hand did appear to be 98% rich white people. Driving around there and parking I distinctly felt that I had the oldest most beat up car there, my 96 Chevy Lumina with peeling paint.  My car is in excellent mechanical condition but it isn’t trendy or pretty and it isn’t new. I also seemed to not dress appropriately because people seemed to stare at me. Now I know what black people feel like when they walk down the street in Duvall!

You know how people always wax rhapsodic for the halcyon days of the 1950’s in the USA? Well that life still seems to exist in Klahanie. All the women of child bearing age of 25-45 seemed to be 25lbs. lighter and blonder, with more make-up and jewelry. Everyone seemed to be jogging. Everyone had expensive German cars, or if they had the terrible misfortune to drive and American car it had all the windows tinted and was brand new. Everything was green, the roads were nice and every street had sidewalks on both sides. The topper was the Chevron gas station had three service bays, all open, with FIVE master mechanics on duty!!  Jesus H!

SO apparently the only thing wrong with our modern life is we all need more money. Where the hell did our 1950’s money go?

No comments: