Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Neon Locusts


Every nice sunny day now in the Snoqualmie Valley we are descended upon by a horde of neon spandex wearing bicyclists, it is truly awful if you live here.


You might well think well these people are harmless, they are getting exercise and they aren’t increasing the carbon footprint and so on so what in fact is the harm? Let me tell you.


I call these abominations the “loud family” because as they stomp through life everything they do is loud. As they stand five feet away from each other they scream about their tiny ambitions, about how many miles they rode and how many miles they will go next week, about bike accoutrements and the hideous clothing thereof. Yes, they even dress as loudly as possible, some wear electrified clothes that flash and blink, others wear clothing so garish you would swear it has secret power crystals enmeshed therein. But at all times it is loud, loud and more loud.
These people do not live here. They come from Bellevue and Redmond, the hills of Seattle couture and the Woodinville’s of the world to evangelize their freakish hobby across our countryside. As we try and drive somewhere or commute through our beautiful, simple green countryside full of quiet farms we have to be constantly be visually assaulted by the Neon Nannettes. If asked, they will explain the roads “are theirs too”. Of course roads are paid for with gas taxes and various motor vehicle fees and who knows if these folks actually pay a cent for the roads. If however, I walked through THEIR neighborhood with my dog (on a leash of course), along the route they commute to work, the doctor and grocery store, holding hands across the road to make sure we blocked traffic, I really doubt they would see the humor. That is exactly what these people do, what they think is so cool, block our traffic at 3pm during rush hour on weekdays.


These people are not commuting to work. They are doing nothing useful at all other than killing time with their friends. I have the utmost respect for that solitary biker wearing rain gear and pedaling to work at 5am because he can’t afford a car, or is trying to save money to buy a house. I have done this twice myself once in Lynnwood and once in Burbank Ca. I know people now who bike to work. I also have a bike and take it places where I want to park the car (such as Leavenworth) and then use the bike to go to the store and get supplies or look around the rest of the weekend. I don’t block hiway 2.


Yesterday we discussed bike paths. The wife pointed out that even when peddlars have a bike path they wobble over on the road edge to block traffic or block the whole lane while they are chatting to their friends about how their nuts are going numb. Going down Hiway 203 yesterday she commented on how she thinks money should be spent to build more bike path and trails. I said “honey if you look 50 yards to your right you will see a beautiful scenic bike path that runs the length of the Snoqualmie Valley”. But no one was on that of course, it was empty. What fun would that be? Who would see their garish outfits that clash with life itself?


As they say; a bicycler runs into someone walking their dog on the Burke Gillman trail and says “get out of my way I am on a bike”, as they pedal precariously by doing 25mph, later as they go down the road they tell someone trying to drive down the hiway203 (limit 55) , “hey get out of my way I am on a bike”! As they go along at 25mph. There militancy can be seen in the annual bike thing they have in Seattle where they ball up traffic on purpose and every year the violence and fights get worse. I am not going to name it to give it any publicity.

Your little dog and pony show is not needed here, take your Halloween costumes and go home. Ball up traffic and create scenes in your own neighborhood. This is not a Disneyland playground for the tragically hip, it is where we live and work and have to commute. Figure out ways to make your own neighborhood scenic and rustic and then stay there.

Matt, I dedicate this to you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

True. Used to have the same problem in my area, but me and my buddy fixed it. We just got a bent up ten speed, wedged it in the grill of my one ton truck, and my friend got into one of those neon bicyclist outfits, after which we made him up with simulated wounds and covered him in fake blood.

I then lashed him to the hood like a dead deer, and we staked out the roads the cyclists used to intrude into our area. When one passed by, I would pull out onto the road and pull up behind the cyclist(s), weaving and gunning the engine menacingly. When the cyclist saw my friend on the hood and the cycle lodged in the grill just behind them, I would slowly pass by the cyclist, at which point my friend would say to the cyclist in his best nearly dead acting voice, "get out of here! He told me he's coming back for you after he buries me!"

No laws broken, but that got rid of the neon locusts in our area.

eddietsunami said...

I don't believe you but I also think it is damn funny--thanx.

Anonymous said...

My niece is dating one of those militant nut cases and participating in there rides. It is good that she cares about the environment and is getting exercise but the total disregard of the traffic laws is not acceptable to me. As for their loudness. I have found that anytime you get a couple of people together they have to talk and talk and talk. I'm hiking out in the middle of nowhere and I can hear another bunch a hikers a mile away. gab gab gab! shut the fuck up. I am trying to relax and commune with nature overhere. Go the hell home if you want to have a conversation about the, you guessed it, inane everyday crap. I think the problem may be that these people have never been out hunting and never learned to tune their senses to nature and that in order to see the wabbit you have to be vewy vewy quiet.

Anonymous said...

My niece is dating one of those militant nut cases and participating in there rides. It is good that she cares about the environment and is getting exercise but the total disregard of the traffic laws is not acceptable to me. As for their loudness. I have found that anytime you get a couple of people together they have to talk and talk and talk. I'm hiking out in the middle of nowhere and I can hear another bunch a hikers a mile away. gab gab gab! shut the fuck up. I am trying to relax and commune with nature overhere. Go the hell home if you want to have a conversation about the, you guessed it, inane everyday crap. I think the problem may be that these people have never been out hunting and never learned to tune their senses to nature and that in order to see the wabbit you have to be vewy vewy quiet.

Anonymous said...

One day I was driving a cut-away bus on Union Hill road. It was very busy. I looked both ways and saw if I hurried I could get into the wave of traffic. Pulling forward a little’ to just see better before pulling out, a bicyclist jurbled himself into the side of my bus. He was instantly up and hammering on my window shouting imprecations from hell and indicating with gestures that he had in his repoir. He spit on my window and took off around the bus. I said in defense of myself to my passengers. “ I didn’t see him!!! “ The passenger directly behind me said “ I have never seen a cyclist brake and come to a 45 degree angle before crashing like that. Suddenly the whole bus laughed together realizing just how sadistic we were. Personally it scared the holly crap out of me. I always look from left to right 196 degrees before pulling on to a road entrance now!!!!